Mt. Makiling is an inactive volcano located at the border of the province of Laguna and Batangas. The Mountain is owned by University of the Philippines Los Banos, Laguna. It was a national park before but was then transferred to them for the use in forestry education and information.
Elevation: 1,090masl (3,580ft)
There are two(2) different trails to choose from:
* from Jump off point (Brgy. San Felix, Sto. Tomas Batangas) up to peak 2 and went back to the jump off point.
* from Jump off point (Brgy. San Felix, Sto. Tomas Batangas) up to peak 2 and then traversing going down to University of The Philippines Los Banos, Laguna, UPLB (Agila base camp)
Itineraries and expenses:
* There are no buses going directly to Mt. Makiling, but there are plenty of provincial buses passing by to Brgy. San Felix Sto. Tomas, Batangas just like bus terminal near LRT Gil Puyat. In our case we took the Lucena trip and alighted at Brgy. San Felix. The travel time is approximately one and a half hour and the fare is ₱102.00.
* After arriving at San Felix, we crosses to the other side of the road and rode a tricycle. It is located beside 7/11 convinient store. It costs ₱70.00 per ride. In our case, we were six so we took 2 tricycles going to Mt. Makiling Jump off and registration point. Travel time is aproximately 10 minutes.
* We arrived at the jump of point, registered our names and hired a guide. Remember: the ratio for a guide is 1:5 and it will cost you ₱1000.00 per guide.
* The Mt. Makiling traverse is around 6-8 hours of trek depending on your pacing. In our case, we took our lunch at peak 3 and completed the trek at around 5 in the afternoon.
* After arriving at Agila Base Camp Los Banos, Laguna there are habal-habal you can rent for ₱100.00 or you can walk going to UPLB registration area. We took the habal-habal because it’s getting dark. The distance between Agila Base to UPLB registation point is around 7km.
* After reaching the registration point we paid ₱10.00 each, then we rode the jeepney going to the highway where there are buses going to Metro Manila. The fare is ₱8.00.
* We took the bus going to Metro Manila and it cost me ₱91.00 going to Dela rosa exit in Buendia Makati.
Tips: What to bring
Lotion for insect repellant
and basic gears for hiking such as:
* Medical kit
* Trekking pole
* Poncho and etc.
Want to know our experience at Mt. Makiling click here: http://geraldventures.com/conquering-mt-makiling-lost-managed-survive/